Monday, April 27, 2009

The hoof of the problem

No matter what sport you are training for you should never overlook the horses hoof. I know this, and yet its what I did, and I am now suffering for the consiquences, or Lucy is anyway.

Ok, ok its not that bad, but I hate for anything to not be quite right and since a lot hasn't been quite right lately, this was sort of the final blow. But it might be the answer to all the problems. Maybe.

What is the problem? Just look below or click on Lucy's hooves my last post. Lucy's hooves have always looked so good that its quite a blow that they are in such a horrible state!

I only noticed after going to take pictures of them for a post about her tripping, much their apperance brings up much more then just tripping. It could by why she doesn't want to go out for rides and why she doesn't move out as well. If she is unbalanced by her hooves she could be in pain.

So for the next couple weeks I am suspending her from all activity. Luke just called and can come out on Wedneday or next week. I am NOT happy with him! But hopefully we can get her hooves back on track asap.

And to think I had just made a new training schedule for her! Yes I make a new one like every two weeks!

So more non horsey spring days will be going by!

2 comments:

Mel said...

Glad you are getting your farrier out. Lucy definately is in need of some rasping/trimming! :)Hopefully this solves your issues - I know my horses (before I started trimming myself) always got a little cranky if I waited too long to trim. After reading ironfreehoof.com I understand why a little better now.

JB said...

Well my trimmer flaked on our appointment 2 weeks ago and I called him last monday and had to call him again today to finally get him to call me back! But some people on HGS think that her hooves have been getting worse for some time now.