Monday, April 20, 2009

Our LSD ride of the week

So on Saturday I rode Lucy out on the trail. We went up Gazos then up Johanson a ways. At first she was really slow, but then picked up the pace considerable until about a quarter of the way up. I got off and walked at about the same place as last week. Her breath was fast and shallow but she recovered well when we stoped. I got back up at Sandy point. We only went about a mile and a half down Johanson because Lucy was determined to turn around. At first I didn't care, she had a good pace going and oviously wasn't out of energy, but then we came to a hill that I didn't feel like climbing on the way back, so we turned around. And of course she power walked back down. She easily could have gone farther!
She triped several times coming down again. I still can't figure out if she is just being oblivious to where she is putting her feet or too tired to pick her feet up all the way, or too lazy!
I got off and walked her the last ten minutes to save my knee and watching her I felt that she just isn't making the effort to pick her feet up and over things. I think we might do some calvalleti work next week!

When we got back I untacked her and took her down to the creek. Boy did she love that! Got her underside all wet and silty!
Then since she still had most of her breakfast to eat I totaly brushed her out until she was not sweaty at all. It was quite warm out.
When I took her back up the hill to the house she was agin power walking, then when grazing at the chalks she bumped a pipe with her nose and spooked herself. It was pretty funny! But also annoying because she oviously had plenty of energy.

We went about7 miles, our average speed was 2.8 but that was just because she slowed down a lot on the way up the hill, she averaged more like 3.4 out on Johanson. We were out for 2 h 30m not bad for all walk and slowing a lot on the up hill!
Hill work this week!

1 comment:

Mel said...

Unless it's HORRIBLE tripping, I wouldn't worry about it. Both my horses worked their way out of it once they figured out I am NOT going to micromanage where they put their feet. That is THEIR job. I took one good rocky ride for my arab to get it. When she wasn't paying attention and I saw rocks coming up I'd say "watch your feet" and she would ignore me and trip. after awhile when she would hear that, she would refocus. Now she stays focused on the trail (for the most part). I don't say "watch your feet" all the time, just when she's is REALLY not paying attention.