Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I think we need a little backround info! Lucy's story.


Your probably wondering why this is called Lulabelles Managerie, huh? Well Lulabelle is my paint mare Lucy, who I often refer to as Lulabell, and the managerie is the chaos that is the rest of the animals we have around.
I'll let Lucy introduce them all to you!

" Well I am Lucy, I am 6 years old and I belong to my mom. She got me from a farm before I knew that humans were ok and not going to hurt me, actually I am still not sure that humans are ok, but at least my mom is! Not long after my mom brought me home one of her dogs attacked me, I don't remember it much though, I was only 5 months. The dog, Bruno, and I are good friends now, it was all just a big misunderstanding.
I lived my first couple years at home and at varius boarding places that my mom would move me to when the mud got to bad at our house. At first I lived with a pig named Ivy, but then after about a year my mom brought home another horse who didn't like Ivy. His name was Nate, I liked him a lot but missed Ivy.
When I was three my mom took me to my favorite home away from home, the one I would end up spending the most time at, and had another girl there do stuff with me. I would later learn that the humans called them games, no idea why. The girl put a saddle on me, which was no big deal, after all my mom had been putting one on my for a while. I liked that girl a lot, but she only came to see me speraticly. I had another accident during that time. While turned out in the big pasture I ripped part of my hoof off. My mom doesn't know why and I am not telling! Anyway, it hurt a lot and they kept me in a little pen for a while putting wierd cloth things on my hoof. Then my moms vet came up, gave me some seditives and the next thing I knew the part of my hoof that was ripped was off. I healed up pretty quick after that.
A couple months later mom took me to another place, this one much further away, I could tell because the trailer ride was longer then ever before. Again there was a girl there that did things with me in an arena. She did the same things as the other girl, really strange stuff like making run around in on a really long lead rope, and walk sideways. The wirdest was when she started sitting on me, I have now come to accept this strange behavior from my mom, but at the time it was rather alarming. I wanted to throw her off, but felt that wouldn't be polite. She worked with me a lot more then the other one. I stayed there for about two months then she brought me back to my mom. Again I lived at one of the barns my mom sometimes took me too. She also rode me and played with me in a really big arena. Every once in a while she would ride me down this dirt road.
At the end of that summer my mom took me back home. This time I stayed for a while. I also had a new friend, a little horse by the name of Huck. She would ride me out on a little dirt road several times a week. We had a lot of fun. She would accationally take me back to one of the boarding barns for a couple days, sometimes longer, but we always ended up going back home. Once during that time I had my shoulder ripped open. Huck and I were playing and we pushed a fence over, so Huck thought we should go exploring. But there was a really big nail in the fence that cought me on my way out. That really hurt! Plus I had to stay up half the night while the vet came and sewed me up. I healed up in about a month but my mom still thinks I get into too much trouble!
The year before last my mom's mom died. I was being borded at the time and my mom came out to see me a lot. She didn't ride me as much that summer. She also kept bringing around this stange guy, who I would later come to know as her boyfriend. I didn't like him much at first, but now he gives me lots of treats! So whats not to like! That fall I started having breathing problems, I would get out of breat quickly and didn't have alot of energy. My mom noticed to because she had a vet out a couple times, but he couldn't figure out what was wrong. Then we went to some sort of gathering. Mom put in in a little pen next to her friends horse, Moe. There were lots of other horses there, it was all very exciting but I kept my cool. My mom rode me around in a little arena. Then we went out and ran all around this big pasture jumping over logs and stuff. I really liked that part! It was a lot of fun! My mom kept telling me what a good girl I was. At the very end, about when I was getting pretty tired, we jumped some more jumps. These ones were brightly colored and fell if you ran into them. All in all it was a fun day, but it was never repeted, maybe because I got really sick after that.
My mom took me back home and a couple weeks later I felt much worse. I had hardly any energy and then sometimes my lower lip would hang down without my control. This really worried my mom. She took me back up to the other barn and had a couple vets come out and look at me. They took blood but didn't do much else. I stayed there in the barn for about a week, I got lots of good food as I had lost a lot of weight.
About a week later mom trailered me a long way to another barn. They treated horses at this one. My mom and her boyfriend hung around with me for the first two days while the people there kept doing weird things to me. Then mom left while I stayed there. She came back a couple days later to pick me up though, not that I was worried.
Mom kept me in a little paddock after that and kept feeding all sort of yummy food!
I stayed at home for a couple weeks. During that time I had one of my first breathing incidents. I started to get out of breath during feeding time and found that I could not breath at all. It was very scary not being able to breath! I had a hard time standing and I fell on my moms car. I ended up on the ground and couldn't get up. My mom and her dad moved me so that the car could move without hurting me, then let me get back up on my own. I went back to my pasture on my own but my mom hung around me for quite a while that night. This would happen again, but later it would get worse. I would bleed out my mouth when it happened. Thank goodness it never happens any more!
About a month later my mom took me back up to the other barn. They put me in a stall, then stuck a really big needle in my neck. Once a day my mom would come and tie me to the stall door and sit with me for about an hour. She would hook me up to this wierd hose thing that made a liquid go into me. This went on for a couple days. Then after it stoped I started to feel better! My lip stopped hanging, and I had more energy! Although I still couldn't run around without risk of not being able to breath. My mom did this to me a second time, but I am not sure why. After that I got to go home for the whole rest of the year. Which brings us to now, as that happend last March. My mom started riding me again a couple months ago, not as much as before but I still dont' have as much energy and I am way out of shape. Which is too bad because I was in great shape before!"

And that is pretty much Lucy's story up until now. We will go into the other animals another time.
The picture at the top is from when Lucy was about 4 years old.

1 comment:

Mel said...

How old is Lucy now? Is she different from the time she got ill (did her personality change)? Was the sickness you are describing lead poisoning? How did she get it?

Yep - I'm being nosy! :) Now that I've known you longer I'm going back and readng posts that I skimmed awhile back. (because now I have some context)