Friday, March 20, 2009

Mini brat #1 Huck!

Now its time for Huck to indroduce himself. But first I fear I must interupt and be selfish and spill a little of my own emotions and problems.


I'm starting to have reservations about getting the Anglo Arab. I was thinking about how nice it would be to just have Lucy, Huck and Ollie and be able to save a little money. But at the same time I really want a nice horse for endurance. And I have been managing ok with four horses. So I am up and down and all over the place!





Anyway, lets introduce Huck, he is a 19 year old mini gelding. Since I don't know much about him before I got him, I will let him start at the point at which I aquired him.





" So my name is Huck, or Huckleberry Fin if you want to be specific. It used to be Obe, thats what my old owners called me, but the new girl didn't like so she changed it. She is nice enough, when she first got me I hadn't been out much or done much with people for a while. My mane was a mess and I could hardly see out of it. She spent about an hour getting it pulled so I could see, which was nice of her I guess, it kinda hurt though. She made me do all sorts of weird things on a lunge line. I was living in her sisters backyard at the time, which was kinda nice except I was the only horse there. The kids were kinda loud and she sat some of them on me, but things could have been worse. Her sister had a funny dog, he was really big, almost as big as me. And always trying to play with me. The backyard had a nice little patch of grass, but the idiot sister did not seem to realise that horses eat grass, becuase she kept shooing me off of it. It was kinda silly really. She even put up a little fence all the way around it, like that was going to keep me out. I just hoped right over it.


The girl would sometimes take me over to another house that had horses at it. But I rarely got to hang with them, mostly she made me do stuff in round pen. Then after about a month she took me home. Then I met Lucy. Lucy is very nice, a bit silly at times, but not to bad to have around. She doesn't mind that I am small and shares her food well. The girl seemed to have this idea that I should pull a cart. I didn't bother telling her that I had done that before and wasn't into it. I had already figured out the humans don't respond to our methods of communication. Such strange creatures.

So the girl started putting a harness on me and long lineing me around in circles and out on her trail. I protested to say the least. Ok so I did enjoy it sometimes, it was kinda nice having a job, but I much perfered to be free. Like when the girl would saddle Lucy up and go out for a ride on the trail, she would sometimes bring me and take off my halter so that I could run free. This was so much fun! At that time we were kept in a paddock so we didn't get many chances to run free. So back to my so called training. Seeing as I aready know most of what she was trying to teach me, our traing sessions were more me testing to see how far I would have to go to get out of being worked. As it turns out the girl isn't some little pussy pushover. She made it quite clear on several occations that I was going to behave when out working, or at least that she wasn't going to give up before me. Now don't get me wrong, she was never/has never been been mean to me, she just asks me to do things that I would rather not do sometimes.

So she continued with her efferts of trying to train me to the cart. In the end she pretty much just hooked me up to the cart without much ado and we went on our merry way. Turns out she is acually a lot of fun to go driving with! She lets me go fast in the cart out on the trails!
About a year or so later, during a time when I was being boarded at another place (they put me in with this huge TB, he was kinda pushy) the girl got another mini. It was great, at first, I was so glad to see someone my own age, in fact I was a little over the top about it. The first time I met him I came running across the field whinnying at him. It was a little embarassing later. But wow was it nice to have another small horse around! All the big horses up there were afriad of me. Just goes to show what pussy's those big guys are, Lucy never batted an eye at me, even when I was pulling a cart, but then she has a lot more brians then the rest of them. And more brains then the new as it turns out. If I was hoping for another little guy who was as intellectually farward as me, I was very dissapointed. It took a while to set in that this guy was just a big human butt kisser! He loved going out with the girl! Or anyone for that matter! And when we were pasture with foals (snotty litte things those! Espeshally the mule!) he would let them play with him all day! I couldn't belive it, but hey better him then me! All they would get from me was a sharp turn and quick hoof!
With the new guy(the girl named him Ollie) came a new chapter in my life. Pairs driving. She she had this wild idea that she was going to strap me to this other little brat and we were going to like work together and pull her around. I never did see why, I was always strong enough to pull her around on her own, she didn't need to bring Ollie into the mix. But she did, and we started pulling this funny looking cart around. Ollie was soooo annoying! And it was so boring! I used to pick on Ollie and chew on his harness for fun, until the girl got a longer whip anyway, she spoils everything! Sometimes we would go out for a whole day and just sit hooked up to the cart while people ooohhd and awwwd over us, sometimes I got the impression that the girl got kinda tired of this. Then one day Ollie took off down the road while we were hooked up. It was kinda fun at first but then when we got closer to traffic I decided this better stop. We took a pretty big break from driving as pair after that. We did it one more time but Ollie had learned that taking off got him out of it, so we haven't done that since.
Lately I have been just enjoying my time pastured out with Lucy. Ollie and I spent a lot of time at home when Lucy was really sick, we thought we might never see her again, Ollie was really broken up about, but low and behold she came back and go better. I was glad, Lucy is a good kid! Last year the girl brought home another horse. A mare. And a total bitch! I didn't like her right from the start. And neither did Lucy, although after while she did start to show more interest. However we were kept in seperate paddocks. Ollie went to live with the new mare, I did kinda feel bad for him, she is quite a bitch!
Then a couple months ago the girl turned Lucy and I out in a really big pasture. Except for Lucy occational leaving for ride, life is pretty good! The girl was all worried about Lucy not eating enough, so we get all sorts of goodies! Like we get to eat alfalfa, and get a big bucket of pellets and chop everyday. Yep life has been pretty good lately! I think its going to be a great summer!"


And that is Hucks story! Took him long enough to get it out!

No comments: