Monday, June 29, 2009

The great saddle search!

Yes! The search is on! Its time for a new saddle, oh goody.



So lets look at the options, actauly first I am going to go over what saddles I currently have and what I am going to do with them.



1. Crosby jumping saddle. This was my first saddle, its very wide as it fit my huge WB mare! I really love this saddle but its time for it to go! I will probably see if I can get $200 for it, but I might go lower.



2. Argentina dressage saddle. No brand name. This was Lucy's first saddle and I loved it for trail riding. She grew out of it years ago but I couldn't quite bring myself to give it up. I paid $200 for it and would love to get that same amount or $175.



3. Colleiget AP saddle. An endurance friend gave this to me to fit on an arab that I was working with. I have alway kept it as a backup saddle but its very wide and won't even fit Kezi. I am going to try it on Lu again but will probably give it away on bayEquest.



4. Western saddle. No brand name, was an internet saddle that I bought at Feed and Fuel. I don't think I will be getting rid of this as it is currently the only saddle that fits Lucy, or at least I assume it still fits her. I use a pretty thick pad under it as it tends to sit a little low in front. Its pretty comfy and I like it for picnics and I want Loren to ride in it when I get him on Lucy!



5. Crosby Corinthinan. Becky and I both can see that this saddle is bridging. But I am still unsure if I want to sell it. I truely love this saddle and would like to keep it around for arena work. I might see about having the flocking moved so that it fits better. If I sell it I will ask $300 for it as I bought it for $350.



6. Wintec Endurance Pro. Well since the regular is to narrow and the medium wide pinches I am not sure if I want to try a bigger gullet or not. Quite frankly I have never been anamored with that saddle and would willingly sell it. Its' comfy but just not for me I think. I paid $500 for it and would like to get a similar amount since I haven't used it that much. Even though I bought it for Kezi I don't think I would keep it around for her espeshally since I don't like it that much!







So now on to what saddle to buy!



My options are:



a. buy a used saddle to use until I find just the right saddle to buy.

b. ride in my western while I figure out what saddle to buy and order it.



So either way I have to figure out what saddle I want in the long run. There is of course the option of continueing to switch from saddle to saddle, which might not be such a bad idea. I mean if no saddle is perfect and always has some sort of little defect wouldn't it be better to be continuly changing saddles so that the horses back isn't exposed to one defect all the time?



On the other hand if I keep Lucy fit a well fitting saddle will be fine. Or a treeless may do us quite well for some time.



Lets look at the new saddle options shall we?:



Treeless: I have always been facinated by the treeless saddle. I have riden in a Bob Marshal, although I don't remember it that well I do remember that I didn't like how much saddle was between me and Lucy. From what I understand people who use treeless have not really had many problems with them. I have heard of them slipping and of people finding they don't feel secure enough, but nothing serious to the horse.



What I like: Well they will fit just about any horse, even if the horses back changes. They will not create pressure points on the withers or shoulders. They give the rider more contact with the horse and give more feel.



What I don't like: They don't provide a lot of support for the rider, or for the horses back. I am concerned about the horses back getting sore because the saddle won't take enough of the shock out of the riders movement (i.e posting). I don't like how flat they look on top, like a super wide twist. I also don't like the looks of them! So I am a little pre-occupied with looks!



Conclusion: I think the benifits outweight the risks, but I really need to ride in more to know for sure! Barefoot will be my first choice so hopefully I can try one out! My next choice would be Freeform but its a wee bit expensive!



Flex-Panel:

I think I have more or less decided to not buy one of these, but since I did do research on them I figured I would include them in this post. Essentially Flex-panel saddles are just a regular tree with flexible panels attached to the tree at two points. The point is to have a tradional supportive tree for the rider but for the part that comes into contact with the horse to be flexibe so that there are no pressure points.



What I like: Well the idea is great, that the panels will move with the horse as it moves and as it changes shape and grows.



What I don't like: The makers of these saddles admit that the saddles will not hold a vary larg person or else the panels can bend down placing pressure directly on the horses back. Oviously for me this is not an issue, but it concerns me that its that flimsy. I am not sure I want to put that saddle on my horse for a 50 mile ride. Also with a tree and exta panels there is going to be way too much stuff inbetween me and my horse.



Conclussion: I will not be buying a flex-panel saddle! Oh and they are way to damn expensive!





Adjustible saddles:
So the adjustible saddles can mostly adjust the gullet and the tree width as well as the seat from what I understand. Some of these saddles can be adjusted by the rider and some have to be sent in to be adjusted.

What I like: I like the idea of a traditional tree that is adjustable. It makes the most sence, I even like them more then the wintec since more then just the gullet is adjustable.

What I don't like: First of all they are incredibly expensive! The other big thing I don't like is that you have to send the saddle in for some of the adjustments. Not only does this take time out of training, but it also can't be precise if the saddle is not be adjusted to the horses back.

Conclusion: I might be more into one if they weren't so damn expensive! I do really like the looks of the sommers though!


Custom:
Oviously custom would be a nice, albeit expensive, solution for a treed saddle. I have read that you need to do your research before ordering a custom saddle as a lot of custom saddle makers use standard trees thereby not really making the saddle custom at all.

What I like: Fit exactly to my horse, I could get my traditional tree in a perfect fit (at the time of purchase anyway!)

What I dont' like: Mostly price, but I am also concerned about finding a good company what will make it truely custom and what that is going to cost me.

Traditional trooper saddle:
I am very intersted in getting a tradional trooper saddle. Oviously this would mean a traditional tree, but I think if I am going to go with a traditional tree I want a trooper saddle.

What I like: I think they look very comfy and secure. Plus they are just super pretty!
What I don't like: I am unsure about where the stirrups put your leg. I have to have a balanced seat or else I will be sore. And of course the traditional tree!



Links to saddle I am interested in:

Treeless:

Barefoot tahoe classic:
http://www.barefootsaddles.net/english.htm

Freeform:
http://www.freeformusa.com/freeform.html#end%20home

Black Forest:
http://www.blackforestsaddles.com/saddles.html


Flex-panel:

Ameri-Flex:
http://www.american-flex.com/

Ortho-Flex:
http://www.ortho-flex.com/

Boz:
http://www.bozsaddlery.com/


Adjustible saddles:

Sommers:
http://www.horsesdacor.com/HorsesDacor/catalog/Saddles.shtml

Reactor-panel:
http://www.reactorpanel.com/

Specialized saddle:
http://specializedsaddles.com/new/


Custom:

Synergist:
http://www.synergistsaddles.com/

Sharon Saare:
http://www.sharonsaaresaddles.com/

Kanavy:
http://www.kanavyendurance.com/

Trooper saddles:

Tarpin Hill:
http://www.tarpinhill.net/saddle.htm

Heskett:
http://www.heskettsaddleworks.com/index.html

Tucker:
http://www.tuckersaddles.com/



So I am off to the local feed store to see what I can find!!!!

No comments: