Thursday, June 11, 2009

Couple of ideas to mull over

So I took Lu out on a ride on my road last night. We went a little ways down then trotted back up a ways. She got very out of breath, but more importaintly she was not as tender. She did feel flat footed, espeshally when I compared her on the road to her on the softer trail, her trot was a lot more springing on the trail. So I think she is fine for the harder surfaces but only at the walk. And only trotting on flat areas right now, walk all hills.

I still intend on getting her boots. Either the basic easyboot (price) or the easyboot edge (ease of getting on). I thought about getting renagades, but feel like the easyboots look a hell of a lot sturdier. Plus they have expanded and really gone into the endurance field. The only downside is that I like the fact that the renagades still seem to be a small company, and I do like that.


So now I am trying to decide if I want to take her to the endurance training ride next weekend. Lucy will be fine a longer ride, as long as she doesn't have to trot up a lot of hills or go on hard ground. As much as I want to do it and feel like I should since I have a tendency to back out of things I say I want to do because I am afriad to take the plunge, I think it would be better all round for Lucy if we didn't go.
But at least we can start going for longer rides again! YooHoo! I think I discovered something about Lucy. I think she is much happier only going out on two rides per week rather then 4 or 5, even if they are shorter rides. I am trying to get up in the mornings to take her for walks (good for both of us) but I have been having a hard time getting up in the morning. I feel like a lot of it is because of stress from work.

I took Kezi for her first longer walk in a year! I know, its horrible, but to get to the trail we have to go down a very steep hill and I am concerned about her hurting herself going down it. For now I am going to take her out on it a couple times a week and see what happens. She is off the bute so its going to be a very touchy couple of weeks while I look for signs of lameness. Carolyn and I were talking about the possibily of turning her out in her big pasture over the winter, espeshally if she is still lame. I am determined that I am going to get her over this.
I think that her going lame and then sound and back again could be an indication that she is just reinjuring herself over and over again. But then I guess it could also be an injury that never quite goes away but does get a little better. It is very interesting how she seems to go lame on a very regular basis. The time between each bought of lameness is very simiar.

It seem like a lot of good info, but it doesn't tell us diddly squat!

2 comments:

Mel said...

My horses were happy with less rides per week two. 2-3 rides a week seems to be the magic number for us. The rest of the time I do get her out and we go walking/running (usually about 5 miles) or just graze.

JB said...

I don't know why it took me this long to figure out that was one of the reasons why she was being so slow and lethargic out on the trail. I guess becuase I was caught up in the belife that she needed to go out several times a week to get back in shape (I was told this on HGS, that there was no way I could get her in shape on only a couple rides a week) but the fact of the matter is, back when she was in great shape I got her that way on one ride a week and kept her that way on one ride a week. I think that now I would like to ride twice a week but I like not riding as often, makes every ride that much more special. I can also now work on ground manners on off days. Lucy needs remedial ground training, she has forgotten everything she was taught!