Monday, June 22, 2009

Endurance Training seminar


 

So we are back from our seminar! Well ok it was only one day long, but it was way fun! Since I am a very through person (in other words I have a lot of spare time at work and conviently sit in front of a computer with internet!) I have already spent a good amount of time researching endurance and all that goes with it. Therefore, there wasn't much new stuff said by the speakers. All though one thing Julie Suhr said did stand out, she said that crossing the finish line at an endurance ride is like the scene in Rocky where he runs to the top of the stairs and raises his arms up in celebration, she said in endurance we would all get our rocky moments. It was a really nice feeling to come away with! After the talks we went into groups and went for our rides. I chose the the six mile ride because they weren't going to trot up any hills and I felt it would be better to be safe then sorry with Lucy. I think thought that in the end we would have done just fine in the eight mile ride.

And just why would I have done better in the eight mile ride? Because Lucy walked about twice as fast as our group leaders horse and so for the first half of the ride I was constantly pulling Lucy in to keep her from trampling the horses in front of us or passing them on the side of the trail. I felt really bad for her since I never hold her back and always allow her normal speed which isn't excessive at all. She also got a little nervous whenever stoped for the first mile or so, which we had to do at a stream crossing because the woman in front of me had a little arab gelding that would jump the stream and she wasn't comforitable with it. But she didn't get off before he started getting tense and wanting to jump over it which made Lucy tense and then when he did jump it he got loose and ran up the trail a few yards which really freaked Lucy out. Luckly though when I got her moving she settled down and went across the stream fine.

When we trotted the leader chose a really slow 5 mph trot that poor Lucy didn't know what to do with. I have never trained her to collect up and trot slower and she never trots slower then 8mph, so she would trot up to the horse in front of us then walk, then trot and so on.

Finally near the observation deck the leader said that I could go out in front if I liked and they would catch up, I think she could see I was having problems keeping Lucy behind the other horses but that she wasn't jigging or anything it was just her natural walk. Once we got ahead Lucy was very happy and also more then willing to leave the other horses behind if neccisary, but the other QH mare, Vanna, got attached to Lucy and also walked fast so she came and joined us in front.

Once we were in front Lucy also was much more willing to trot slower for me. Evententually the woman with the little white arab gelding also joined us since her horse was nervous and jigging. But Lucy still needed to be in front. I don't know if its Lucy's natural way to be the leader or if its just years of being ridden alone that made her that way, but I don't mind it in the least. I would like her to liston to me and slow down when stuck behind slow horses but I don't think she needs to be made to do it all the time, I like her wanting to be the horse out in front. It certainly could make her a very competitive endurance horse. Although I never entered this sport intending on being competitive, I am very competitive myself and if I am on a horse that is also I could end up riding to win sometimes.


 

The best part of the day was when we got back and everything was done with (oh she did great on her vet checks health wise, but needs to be better about letting the vet test her capillary refill time, I think I will have Loren help me with that) I got to have a lovely chat with Becky Glaser. I had been wanting to talk with her anyway since she lives on the other side of Big Basin so we could ride together.

Anyway we mostly talked about Lucy, she wanted to know what her breeding was, and about her illness and if she could do a 50 miler and her saddle fit. Becky talked me into doing the 25 miler at the Fireworks in 4 weeks! I am very excited! Expect we also found that her saddle isn't fitting her right, but since I have a wintec the wider gullet should have it fitting her fine again. I will change it out and try it out on Wednesday when I ride ( I have a new strict training schedule to stick to if I am going to enter Fireworks) so hopefully I won't also have to buy a new saddle soon!


 

After Fireworks I am considering Shine and Shine only, then Colero Classic both of with are in San Jose and therefore not to far away, that makes going so much less scary! Then if all goes well the Cuneo multiday where I would hopefully ride the 25 both days and see how she does so I can make plans as far as a 50 miler next year.


 

Its all so very exciting! Although my sister reminded me today about teaching Lucy to drive, so I can't forget about doing that this summer! But it makes it easier since I am currently teaching Sassy to drive as well.


 

So as of right now I am riding Lucy on a 10ish mile ride on Wednesdays where I ask for a little bit of trot depending on how she feels, then a 10 + ride on the weekend where we mostly walk, and then a 5 + ride during the week after work that I make more intense either with lots of trot and canter or hillwork. Oh and of course I will need to be getting out self to excersise, because well I need it! HAHA!

Pretty soon I would like to start riding from Cloverdale (butano fire road) to home as it's a great ride and I would like to know the distance.


 

Well that's all for now folks!

No comments: