Thursday, March 4, 2010

Frustrated, but riding

 

So I am finally riding on a regular basis again! But I am very frustrated!

 

First, my total awesome discovery!

Lucy gets bored on the trail and needs more to do and think about.

Obviously this is something that should have occurred to me before, and in a way it did. I was aware that Lucy was getting bored riding on the same trail all the time, but it hadn’t occurred to me that the reason she doesn’t like trail riding as much is because there is very little to do.

Anyway, this gives me a great opportunity to start her driving and get back into eventing. IF I had an arena that is. Yep, that's the rub!

 

This week I have ridden three times and am having fun working on transition and whatnot out on the trail, but every time I think how much better we could be doing in an arena. I do have a couple options open to me:

- Convince my dad to clear an arena, we have two spots that might work but would require cleaning, tractor work and tree falling.

- Trailer out to a friends house a couple times a week. I have two barns close by that have arenas. One is about 15 minutes away, I used to board there but had some issues with the owner. We are still friends and get along and she is ok with me using the arena. The other place is about 30 minutes away. I board here on and off and am very good friends with the owner, but she drives me crazy! He arena is waayyy nicer, but the weather at her place can be a lot worse then the other. I also owe her money, so I am hesitant to ask her any favors.

 

So one way or another I am going to work in an arena or whatever I can find! Even if I end up boarding again for a while, THAT would get my dad going on putting in an arena!

 

So my rides! They were fun! Mostly I am concentrating on using my seat to influence Lucy’s speed and gait. She is pretty good, but not consistent. Some times she will transition down from a walk to a halt just from my seat, no reins, other times I have to give her lots of reminders. I am also working on walk/trot transitions and trot speed. Her trot is very fast and strung out right now so I prefer to not sit trot, plus my body is a bit out of practice in that area! Hehe! This morning we did some  trot/canter transitions, its been a while since I asked her to canter out other a long stretch, rather then just a stride or two. She seemed to really like it! I love when she has energy!My canter aids suck, so our transitions are horrible! But its something to be worked on!

Considering how much time she has had off lately, I think she is doing quite well!  I on the other hand need to get in shape and work on my position badly!

So far we are staying together and somewhat in rhythm about 50 to 60% of the time. Quite often, especially during transitions and the trot, I kinda fall apart and loose contact and are whole rhythm is thrown off. BUT I am not doing so bad regaining the rhythm and balance. And hey, its kinda hard to keep a good rhythm and balance when going up and down hills and dodging branches!

I have been working on retraining her the leg yield aids, but she is very antsy. I think I will do some groundwork with her on that to help her remember.

 

So far my plan for trail riding is to go on a real trail ride (where we don’t work on transitions or anything) once a week with someone else whenever possible. And in new places whenever possible. That way when I do take her out for solo trail rides, it won’t seem quite so boring. Hopefully.

1 comment:

Mel said...

I totally agree about the boredom thing. Farley definately needs exciting conditioning trail rides to keep motivated, which is why I allow her to do some galloping if she wants during conditioning, I jump on and off and jog beside her (she finds this amusing) and practice dressage. She just gets pissed off if we do slow trotting for 3 hours....

Anyway - so very glad you are thinking about hroses again :) Keep it up girl!