Monday, March 1, 2010

Defining moment

 

Or an “ah ha” moment! I had one just the other day.

 

Loren and I got home late from his parents house where we were celebrating his brothers birthday. I went out to feed the horses. My flashlight was not cooperating at all! The battery and the bulb were both dieing. So I was struggling through the muck with an armful of hay and hardly any light. When the horses came down to eat Lucy was shivering so I decided I better put her blanket on her. She was suprisingly good about holding still for that, she doesn’t always like holding still for the blanket. It always amazes me how much trust our horses put into us. I can throw this huge blanket over her back and she barely flinches. And it always amazes me how much trust we put into our horses, I can stand right before my horse and reach between her legs for the leg straps and know that she would never kick me (withstanding any outside influences, in other words if something were to spook her from behind), that in fact she will stand perfectly at ease while I connect everything.

 

Anyway, even though it was raining, and dark and late and cold, I really didn’t want to leave my horses. I was just so happy being with them. Lately I have been getting home late and not always feeding because I am dead tired or its raining out. I feed them extra in the morning but its not really acceptable to let them go that long without food in front of them. I have always taken the best care of my horses that I can. So missing dinner feedings will not be happening anymore, my horses did not choose to come live with me, but I would like to think that they are in a better then usual situation for horses.

 

Anyway, it made be realize just how much I need to be with my horses. Even if I am not riding them.

No comments: