Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Crazy ride!

 

It started out all normal and fun, and turned out very crazy and not so fun!

 

So I did a lot of trot/canter transistions, Lucy seems to really like moving out more. I am still having problems with my stirrup strap twisting at the canter, can’t figure that out! Lucy’s canter is so big and fast! I am hoping lots of trot/canter transitions will slow it down and collect it a bit.

She was so excited to canter that she picked up the canter on her own just before I was going to ask, very strange for Lucy!

 

Then further down the trail I got off to clear branches (its a bit beyond her to hold still for me while I am on her back right now).

And….

 

Its started dripping on us! Grrr it had been so pretty and nice out! So I threw my sweatshirt over my saddle to keep it from getting too wet while I continued clearing.

 

Then….

 

Boom!!! Huge long clap of thunder that scared the living daylights out of Lucy and I. Eli was the only one not scared! Lucy spooked and got all bug eyed, and for some reason the thunder made me really nervous (no idea why!).

So (leading a rather antsy Lucy) we heading home.

 

It started raining harder. So out of concern for my saddle I mounted back up.

 

Then….

 

It started hailing. And I am not talking little tiny friendly sized hail, no I’m talking decent sized pieces of ice.

Hitting my arms and Lucy’s neck.

My arms got rather red and sore.

 

The only good thing is that it was warm for hail so I wasn’t too cold despite the fact that my sweatshirt was under my bum!

 

Yep, crazy ride!

2 comments:

Mel said...

At 20 MT I rode in the hail for the first time and I was NOT amused.

JB said...

Haha! I was suprisingly ok with it, other then my concern for my brand new saddle! And the fact that my ride was cut short! BUT I was also very close to my house, a blanket for Lucy and dry clothes for me.
Probably makes a big difference.