Monday, November 16, 2009

Ocean

So my weekend was exusting! but pretty fun, and very productive!

 

Saturday:

I   went a picked up a load of hay in the morning. Was pretty easy as I had two guys helping me, but the bales are longer then normal so I had a hard time fitting them on the trailer. Loren would have been handy as he is the tetris master when it comes to fitting bales of hay together!

I dropped off the truck and trailer and went back to town to meet Kathryn with the horse. I wanted to make sure she made it ok so I figured I would just meet her in town.

She came with her whole family. Boyfriend, three kids and dog!

She decided after seeing how long of a drive it was that she would take her saddle and tack back then, rather then letting me use it for the next two weeks. I think she felt uncomfortable with me using the saddle, which I understand. I also think that by doing  so she has forced me to buy a saddle for him more solidifying his place at my house! Haha!

 

He took my place all in stride, didn’t blink an eye at anything! So cool and calm with new places!

Lucy was very unsure of him. She kept protecting the mini’s from him. If one of them got too close she would run over and get between them and give the gelding a dirty look! It was really cute! He didn’t mind and just backed off.

By the end of  the day he and Ollie were having fun playing with each other! I got some videos, but haven’t got them on yet.

 

Sunday:

Sunday was a very interesting day! And very tiring!

In the morning I unloaded and stacked the hay. 26 bales! The last 10 I ended up just dropped off the truck and not stacking, my muscles were screaming! I also had to restack half of what I already had there, so that took some time and effort. I will be getting one more load then we should be set for winter! Yay!

After I was done I my older sister Alicia came up for a ride. Just as I was collecting all the tack the peacock made an appearance in the paddock and scared the gelding, which set off Lucy (who is NOT scared of the Peacocks at all, she was just being a brat!). So everyone was a bit on edge when we took them  out. Luckily Lucy forgets that she is throwing a fit easily and chilled out. The gelding did the same. Lucy was very patient with Alicia getting her ready, seeing her pick out her feet was really funny! Alicia let Lucy hang her hoof almost on the ground rather then making her hold it up!

I didn’t have a saddle that fit the gelding so I put him in my blue western headstall with my snaffle bit and rode bareback (what! am I crazy!?!?!) I had left my helmet down the hill at the trailer so we walked the horses down and got on there.

 

Lucy:

Lucy was an angel the whole ride! She totally acted as though she was on a normal ride with me and there was someone else riding with us that she had to wait for (Lucy hates to wait, but when you make her stop and wait she will watch for the other horse!). I got the impression that Lucy only really listened to Alicia about half the time and just did her normal old thing the rest of the time! She is such a good girl! Still the mild yet business like trail horse, even with a totally new rider on her!  See you have to understand that in the whole 8 eight years I have owned her, she has only been ridden by I think four people. Three trainers over a couple months, and me. I wasn’t sure how she would take a new rider since its been so long since anyone but me has ridden her, and a newbie on top of that!

 

The Gelding (don’t worry I have a name for him now!):

He was pretty good considering everything. He totally let me get on bareback and didn’t mind me riding bareback (although I ride bareback a lot so my seat is pretty good). The one downside  is that the owner showsheened the hell out of him so I was slipping all over! He didn’t really like that face that Lucy walked faster then him, but wasn’t a totally nutcase about it. He did jog quite a bit trying to keep up. I think if he walked normally he would be able to keep up, but since he is ADD (Arab Distraction Disorder) he can’t. He HAS to learn to keep his mind on the trail! So far its everywhere! I got off to get the gate and ended up doing groundwork on most of the ride. He does not pay attention to me at all. He reminds me of Huck so much!! I did notice that when I would stop and make him look at me, he would lower his head and be more relaxed. So hopefully a lot of groundwork will help him in the saddle too!

Really though he has obviously just been allowed to do what ever he wants on the ground. Not ok with me! But I see potential. It helps that I have already been through this with another horse just like him! Although we only really came to an understanding after I bonked him on the head with the whip a couple times! Haha! But Huck listens and behaves now.

This guy deffinatly wanted to go for a longer, faster ride. I don’t blame him, but he will have to learn that sometimes we just walk. I am sure that a lot of it was just being in a new place with a new person. Probably right now he is hating me since I make him behave! But in the end I hope he likes have a few more rules (most horses do).

 

 

So, thats my weekend (well the horses part anyway, the rest was pretty much crap).

 

And yes I have chosen a barn name for him! Yay! I didn’t like Scout, and knew one already. So his new barn name is: Ocean! but you probably already figured that out from the title huh?

2 comments:

Mel said...

Waiting for pictures.... :)

Sounds like he did great! Sucks about the showsheen. LOL

so what are you going to do about a saddle for him???????

Melinda

JB said...

Well I just got back from the tack store where I picked up two stubben dressage saddles. Can't really afford them, but I need something to ride in!
I might also heavily pad one of my bigger jumping saddles that is too wide for him.
With the cost of buying him, and the other costs I have this month that will have to spill over into next month, I have no idea how I will afford a new saddle!

Once I find the cord that goes to my camera I will put the pictures and videos on, I haven't use used my camera in such a long time I lost it! Ha!