Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Pride and Joy?

How often do you ask your horse to do something and when the response is quick and exactly what you wanted, your just blown away?

 

I love those moments! They are best for people like me who brought her horses along from almost day one. While Huck did know a bit before I bought him, and Lucy did have other trainers, Ollie is all my creation and most of Lucy too.

 

I had Ollie out over the weekend preparing him for driving again since I want to start the boys tandem. It was long lining him and just so amazed and happy when he listened to all my cues and responded promptly. It really gives one a sense of pride with their horses, that they put that work into them to get them that far.

I often forget how much work I did put into them since I don’t spend as much time with them now as I should. Sometimes things get in the way and I only hope that will change soon!

 

That is one reason why I want another horse to bring up my way. At least then I can blame any faults on myself rather then being annoyed that I have to correct other peoples mistakes.

 

My horses are my pride and joy, because I helped make them what they are and I am proud of what they are.

1 comment:

The Equestrian Vagabond said...

this reminds me of Kazam, who I'd been having great trouble with riding out... long story, I almost gave up on him but I haven't quit yet. I've instead started doing all kinds of things with him, including lots of ground work, different things in the saddle, and have since watched him improve greatly at some things, responding at the slightest cues, instantly, sometimes like he's reading my mind (though I know it's my body language). It gives me hope. : )
- The Equestrian Vagbond