Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Is this a good idea?

I am really posing this question to myself so it helps to get it down in my blog where I can read it, and I am also open to suggestion.

 

So I haven’t mentioned it yet since its a bit upsetting but Kezi is lame again. Very very lame. Like she can hardly move on it kind of lame. The weird thing is that she was being very lathargic in the days leading up to when she came down lame, like she didn’t injure the same thing. But her shoulder is swollen and there is no heat in her leg at all. I could have Luke test her feet but I really don’t want to drag him all the way out for that. Maybe I’ll have Kacie do that when she comes out.

 

Russ feels like we shouldn’t overlook the possibility of another injury, but I think its highly unlikely on the same leg to not be the same injury. He also thinks I should have Nancy come out and look at her but how she can tell if its the same injury when I cannot is beyond me. I like Russ a lot but sometimes he has too little faith in my ability to know my own horse.

 

So anyway I am having a hard time keeping up beat about her now, but I feel like I would like to continue trying to get her sound. Put her back on anti-inflamitories and keep her calm. But once winter comes I need a different place to keep her. Even if I can get her sound by winter I am not sure I will be able to put her out in the pasture.

So my idea:

 

Trade her for a temp home over the winter. I would take a young horse that needs conditioning on the trail and she would get a suitable place to live for the winter. When spring comes I get Kezi back (hopefully still sound) and the people who kept her get their horse back in shape.

I like the idea of taking a horse to ride over the winter since I think it will help Lucy and I too. That way I can slow down and spend more time with her not on the trail while still getting to get out on the trail conditioning.

 

So now I am trying to decide if I want to start looking now or wait a bit longer since I wouldn’t want to initiat the trade until latem November early December, but it might take that long to find someone.

Also do I know for sure that if I make the deal now I will still feel comforitable sending her away for the winter if she goes back to being sound fairly soon.

 

So lots to think about on top of a really busy week with work and the hike-a-thon this weekend!

2 comments:

Mel said...

I think this sounds reasonable. Would you try to have her close enough you could visit once a week etc.?

JB said...

Absolutly! Even if she wasn't real close, I would still make the effort to go and see her whenever possible. Even though ever since having her I have had to deal with the idea of getting rid of her, I am very attached to her and would worry constantly!